The outline given below is presented only as an aid to an individual wishing to go to confession. What is most important is that an individual feel free to be honest and open in your own words to God’s forgiveness and love.
- Enter confessional and kneel behind the screen or sit down face-to-face.
- Make the sign of the cross.
- Say, “Bless me father for I have sinned. This is my first confession,” or “It has been (how long) since my last confession.”
- Tell your sins to the priest.
- When you are finished sharing your sins say, “ I am sorry for these and all my sins.”
- Father will talk to you and give you a penance, a prayer to say or something good to do.
- Say your Act of Contrition/Prayer of Sorrow.
- Then father gives you “absolution” to take away your sins
- Father then says, “Give thanks to the Lord for he is good.”
You say, “His mercy endures forever.”
- Say, “Thank you father” before you leave.
- After leaving the confessional, remember to do your penance.
> View a sample of an Act of Contrition.